Hey, dear ones! How’s it going? Today I am bringing you an awesome recipe for Milk Custard with Caramel Sauce or Leche Asada con Caramelo, a type of baked milk custard or flan that is very popular in Latin American cuisine. It is made by combining a very few simple ingredients, which are then baked until the mixture sets and forms a smooth and creamy custard. It is typically served chilled and can be enjoyed on its own or with a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. Sounds good right?!
Now, you might be wondering… What does it taste like? Well, if you’ve ever tried some flan, Spanish fried milk, or even crème brûlée, I’d say they are all pretty similar in taste, but with a little twist. You see, this leche asada is baked, so it has a creamier texture. You will see.
Indice de contenido:
- Milk: I am using some fresh whole milk at room temperature to make a rich and creamy leche asada.
- Eggs: Make sure to use some fresh eggs at room temperature.
- Sugar: You can use granulated white sugar or brown sugar. The amount will depend on your personal taste, so feel free to adjust it to your liking.
- Vanilla extract: This is one of the primary flavours in leche asada. I always recommend using pure vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon: I am using ground cinnamon, but you can also use cinnamon sticks if you prefer. Just make sure they are big enough to remove them in one piece.
- Caramel Syrup: You can make your own caramel at home or buy it pre-made. Whichever is easier for you!
**Find all the specific quantities below. Jump to Recipe↓
How to make caramel syrup
Before we begin, let’s make something clear: adding caramel syrup is completely optional. Now, does it elevate this delicious custard pudding? 100%! So naturally, I would definitely recommend you not to skip it. You can either use some some ready made caramel syrup to save some time in the kitchen or you can make your own caramel sauce at home. Here’s how:
- Pour 1/2 cup of sugar into a small saucepan and heat it over medium heat.
- As the sugar begins to melt, stir with a whisk or wooden spoon and watch the magic happen.
- When it melts and turns into a golden syrup, stir in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and pour the caramel in a round in a baking dish then tilt the pan to distribute the caramel into an even layer on the bottom. Set aside to cool while you mix the custard.
How to make leche asada
- Preheat the oven: First things first, let’s preheat your oven to 248 °F (120 °C). Trust me, you don’t want to keep this Leche Asada waiting!
- Beat the eggs: Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Gently whisk them without beating them too much.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Next, add the sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and milk. Give it a light stir, and you’re good to go!
- Bake the leche asada: Pour the mixture into the caramel-coated baking dish and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 90 minutes at 120 °C (248 °F). To check if it’s ready, insert a toothpick into the center of the mixture, and if it comes out dry, it’s ready!
- Cool and chill: Once baked, let the leche asada cool at room temperature. If you can, pop it in the fridge for a few hours before cutting into it. It’ll be ready to serve!
And there you have it: a delicious recipe for milk custard or leche asada con caramelo. It doesn’t get easier than this! Thanks for reading! I hope this recipe inspires you to make your own homemade desserts. Don’t forget to check out our YouTube channel, where we share even more sweet and delicious recipes. Until next time, take care and happy cooking!
Baked Milk Custard
- Woden spoon or whisk
- 8 Eggs
- 1 L Milk
- 200 grams Sugar
- 30 ml Vanilla essence
- 5 gramos Ground cinnamon
- Caramel Syrup
- To make a delicious milk custard, place all the ingredients (Except for the caramel) in a bowl. Mix carefully until fully incorporated.
- Add the caramel in a deep baking dish, and expand throughout the base of this.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and bake for 90 minutes at 120 °C (248℉)
- Let stand at room temperature. Once it has cooled, cut your creamy milk custard into squares of the desired size. Serve immediately and enjoy!